Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2012

Welcome to Dearborn, MI...

The World of Ford Motor Company!

That's where I've spend the past 2.5 days. The furthest North I've ever made it in the USA. Ford had their yearly new model introduction and mingling event (conference!) for their fleet customers and although I'm not in purchasing, I am in charge of the fleet once the cars are with us, so I need to be up to date and got to go :)

The new 2013 models for the American market where something new for the eye of US customers, not so surprising for a European though. The Ford Escape is losing it's edges (which I liked about it) and will now resemble what is sold as Ford Kuga in Europe. Best new feature: hands-free trunk access! With a kick of your foot underneath the rear bumper, the trunk will open. Where's the LIKE button!? ;)

The 2013 Ford Fusion is preeeeeettyyyyyy! It now looks like the Ford Mondeo. The Mustang GT as usual a vrooooom vrooom wanna have!

My highlights: I got to drive a drop dead gorgeous F-250 Platinum edition... Yes, I'm in love! And yes, I'm a truck girl. Also test drove the Police Interceptor Utility (wow, what a "heavy" car), the Mustang GT and the Escape. Saw Vaughn Gittin Jr drift and went to the Rouge Factory where I saw how the F-150's are assembled. My 1st ever car factory visit! Very exciting! I love robots and automation technology. Of course, we also went to the Henry Ford Museum, where some of my most favorite cars were parked.

Detroit itself is like they say, sadly not very impressive. Lots of empty, old, tall, unoccupied buildings. Lots of grey. Also, to my surprise, I saw what I've only seen in American movies so far... Northerners forgive me, I now know it's very common: Steam coming out of  manholes!!! Gave the grey an even worse impression.

I must say though, the are around the Ford Field (football stadium for the Detroit lions) looked nice and from just being there for such a short time, I'm sure Detroit also has some other nice areas that I missed out on. I threw and kicked some football there btw... :)

Overall a great and exciting business trip!

 The new 2013 Ford Escape's lining up for a match the time drive

Police Interceptor Utility. Ballistic doors included and I got to turn the lights on :)

MY LOVE!!!!!!! F-250 Platinum

 Vaughn Gittin Jr in his Mustang

 My most favorite shot of the whole event.


 In my next life I want to be born in the 1930's so I can be an early Twen riding around in this Beauty!

 The history of the automobile displayed at Henry Ford Museum

1 Kommentar:

  1. The Henry Ford Museum I remember well from my stay in MI. I loved it there. Did u go to the outdoor part too?
    And yes, I can assure you Detroit has very nice areas. Just a few but this city is far better than its reputation!

    AntwortenLöschen