Mittwoch, 24. Juni 2009

Spinning round and round...

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Gulf on Sunday. That was basically due to me getting 2,5 hours of sleep from Friday to Saturday after going out for a quick drink ended up being a long night, then working for 10 hours and realizing that I should've changed the oil for my car by now. Since I didn't want to risk getting stuck somewhere, hours away from the couple of people that could be of help to me right now, I decided to stay in Hallandale, get some well deserved sleep and go to the beach with Javier. After being there for an hour, it started raining, so we returned to the apartment and waited on his Father's Day gift. If I haven't mentioned it yet, my roommate has a 11 year old daughter (which will be staying with us for like 4 weeks from mid July onwards). The mum of his daughter sends him something for Father's Day every year which in the USA is always the third Sunday of June. He got a delivery of fresh fruit, dipped in chocolate, this time and since he's a good roommate, he shared! Oh, I love chocolate dipped strawberries and apples!!!!!! :)

Javier also had an invitation to a party of one of his colleagues from work for that evening, so he called and asked if he could bring me with him. Sure! It was fun! I ended up at a family birthday party with 20 Latinos/Latinas mainly from Puerto Rico. Haha! It's great though. I'm picking up more and more Spanish and I do understand a lot already when I listen to people talking.,

So much for the day off! On to the weather! It gets quite hot and quite stormy/rainy. On the news it was said that some weather conditions right now are more known for August and not for June... all I know is: US streets flood veeeeery quickly and I hated driving my car through it, which yes, I shouldn't do, but there was no way out of my aparment complex than right through the water. Fortunately I've been driving on this street for over a month, so I do know the street's structure and how deep the water could be. I would NEVER do this somewhere else! Too scary!

On my way back from work to the apartmentLive scene shot from my apartment. This was quite a calm storm though!
The aftermath at the local Winn Dixie. Flooded parking lot and a lot deeper than it appears. I didn't drive through there!


Leider habe ich es am Sonntag nicht an den Golf geschafft. Das lag zum grossen Teil daran, dass ich Freitag auf Samstag nur 2,5 Stunden schlief, nachdem ein Abstecher auf ein schnelles Bier zu einer langen Nacht wurde, dann 10 Stunden arbeiten war und realisierte, dass ich laengst einen Oelwechsel fuer mein Auto brauche. Ich wollte nicht riskieren irgendwo stehen zu bleiben, Stunden entfernt von den paar Leuten, die mir mittlerweile eine Hilfe sein koennten, also entschied ich mich hier in Hallandale zu bleiben und goennte mir meinen wohlverdienten Schlaf. Ich ging dann mit Javier an den Strand, aber eine Stunde spaeter fing es zu regnen an und so fuhren wir zurueck zum Apartment und warteten auf Javier's Vatertagsgeschenk. Falls ich es nicht erwaehnt habe, mein Mitbewohner hat eine 11jaehrige Tochter (die ab Mitte Juli 4 Wochen mit uns verbringen wird). Die Mutter seiner Tochter schickt ihm jedes Jahr etwas zum Vatertag und der ist hier in den USA immer am 3. Sonntag im Juni. Geliefert wurden frische Fruechte, gedippt in Schokolade und da er ein guter Mitbewohner ist, teilte er mit mir. Oooh, ich lieeebe in Schokolade getauchte Erdbeeren und Aepfel!!!

Ausserdem hatte Javier am Sonntag eine Einladung zu einer Party seines Kollegen, also rief er dort an und fragte, ob er mich mitbringen koennte. Klar! Und es war lustig! Ich kam also auf eine Geburtstagsparty mit 20 LateinamerikanerInnen, hauptsaechlich aus Puerto Rico. Haha! Es war aber echt gut! Mein Spanisch wird immer besser und ich kann Konversationen immer oefters folgen (wenn auch noch nicht mitreden).

Zum Wetter: Es ist ziemlich heiss und regnet/stuermt ziemlich oft. In den Nachrichten hiess es, dass man das momentane Wetter eher im August kennt und nicht so zeitig im Juni... was ich weiss: US Strassen fluten seeeehr schnell und ich fands nicht lustig als ich mein Auto durch einen "Teich" fahren musste um aus meiner Apartmentanlage zur Arbeit zu kommen. Gluecklicherweise kenne ich die Strasse ja nun seit einem Monat und weiss, wie tief der geflutete Teil sein konnte, sonst waere ich da natuerlich NIE NIE NIE durchgefahren. Einfach viel zu gefaehrlich!

Oben seht ihr ein Bilder und Video der aktuellen Lage. Noch nichts super aufregendes... ;)


1 Kommentar:

  1. Although you know a road doesn't mean it cannot be dangerous when it's under water. The water could wash away the stuff that's underneath the pavement and you might not see it because of all the water...This is an extreme example of what water can do to a road... http://www.break.com/index/flooded-river-destroys-road-in-minutes.html

    AntwortenLöschen