Montag, 24. August 2009

6 Months USA!

Yes, on Friday it was already this time of month again: I celebrated my half year anniversary over here. The resume of the past 6 months: I'm living a good life, I was able to save a bunch of money while still trying to pay of my student loans and I identified the negative sides of South Florida which have mainly to do with the people that live here (a separate blog entry about it will follow), so I'm living my life around it.

What I have been up to lately: After owning a 4-wheel-vehicle, I'm also now a proud owner of a 2-wheel vehicle (non-motorized) ;)! I went on several 2 hours biking tours already and I especially loooove cycling along Ocean Drive in Hollywood at night. After not owning a bike for years, I'm finally back building up my cardio... and I need to, because...

I'm signed up for my first 5K run ever in my life!!!!!!! =)

At the end of October the Toss Up crew will run one. I started, having 10 weeks of preparation and after not running for 2 years and never running this distance, I'm challenged but determined to run this thing as a whole without walking. Back in the days, I used to run 3K's in training for my rowing, but that's been years ago and I felt it pretty much when trying to go on my first run 1 1/2 weeks ago. No stamina at all! Of course the humidity is something to handle as well. When back in the apartment, I look like I just spent 30 minutes in a steam sauna, but it sure feels good in some ways! So now I'm running and cycling and getting better at both again. Whoop!


Am Freitag war es also wieder diese Zeit im Monat: Diesmal konnte ich mein 6-monatiges in den Staaten feiern. Fazit der letzten 6 Monate: Ich lebe gut, konnte (fuer meine Verhaeltnisse) gute Ersparnisse anhaeufen, waehrend ich nach wie vor meine Studienkredite abzahle und habe die negativen Seiten Sued-Floridas identifiziert, die hauptsaechlich mit den Leuten die hier wohnen zu tun haben (separater Blog-Eintrag dazu folgt), also lebe ich mein Leben einfach drumherum.

Was ich in letzter Zeit so getrieben habe: Nachdem ich ja bereits ein 4-raediges Gefaehrt besitze, bin ich nun auch stolzer Besitzer eines 2-Rades (nicht motorisiert) ;) ! Ich bin bereits auf einige 2 stuendige Fahrradtouren gegangen und lieeeebe es besonders nachts am Ocean Drive in Hollywood entlang zu duesen. Nachdem ich fuer etliche Jahre kein Fahrrad besitze, bin ich nun zurueck und baue an meiner Ausdauer... und die werde ich brauchen, denn...

Ich bin fuer meinen ersten 5 km-Lauf in meinem Leben angemeldet!!!!!!

Ende Oktober nehmen wir als Toss Up Crew an einem Lauf teil. Ich habe mit dem Training begonnen und habe insgesamt eine 10-woechige Vorbereitungszeit und nachdem ich seit 2 Jahren gar nicht gelaufen bin und noch nie ueber diese Distanz, ist es fuer mich eine Herausforderung, aber ich habe meine Ziele und werde diesen Lauf zumindest komplett durchlaufen. Frueher lief ich 3km staendig waehrend meines Rudertrainings, aber der grosse Laeufer war ich noch nie und das ist ja nun auch schon eine ganze Weile her. Dementsprechend habe ich mich auch vor 1 1/2 Wochen bei meinem ersten Lauf gefuehlt: Keine Ausdauer mehr da!!! Die Luftfeuchtigkeit macht einem da natuerlich auch ein wenig zu schaffen. Wenn ich zurueck ins Apartment komme, schaue ich aus als haette ich 30min in einer Dampfsauna verbracht, aber es fuehlt sich schon gut an! Nun laufe und Fahrrad fahre ich also und werde mit beidem schon besser von Tag zu Tag. Juhu!!!

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hi There,
    Found your Blog via TAD and had a great time reading about your adventures! You are really doing very well, I wish you all the best! We (my hubby and I) are now trying our luck with the Lottery the 2nd time and hope we do not have to wait that much longer. We also want to move to FL but in the Ft.Myers/Tampa Area. Until luck finds us, we have to live with the yearly vacation in our 2nd home country ;-)
    Again, all the best!
    Cheers from Darmstadt, Germany
    Christine

    AntwortenLöschen